Kitchens are the subject of many a home renovation these days, and there are so many tiny details that can help define the kitchen to make it a chic heart of the home.
One of our favorites? Wood! Here are ten ways to add a touch of wood to one of everyone’s favorite spaces.
1. Incorporate Beams: Wood beams add a hint of rustic charm to any space, no matter how elegant.
2. Add Bar Stools: When it comes to bar stools, we think mixing materials is always a good idea. This combination of wood, metal and rattan adds color and texture for a chic look.
3. Accentuate the Island: A little bit of wood goes a long way. This rich tones of this island add juxtaposition and charm.
4. Use a Library Ladder: A library ladder is one of our bucket list home items. While we’d ideally love to have the library to go along with it, a ladder can be incredibly useful in a kitchen too.
5. Repurpose a Piece of Furniture: We tend to think of built-ins in the kitchen, but there’s no real reason why everything has to be. A favorite chest, armoire or corner-cupboard looks beautiful and adds a surprising element. Extra credit if it’s an antique!
6. Mix in Butcher Block Counters: For the ultimate in functional wood additions, butcher block counters are a perfect fit. This workspace is as pretty as it is practical.
7. Rethink Shelving: We love the look of open shelving, but it doesn’t have to be an all or nothing approach. These pretty wood shelves are the right touch of casual while cabinets lend plenty of space for covered up storage.
8. Choose Hardwood Floors: Need we say more? Any color, any style, this design staple has staying power for a reason!
9. Decorate with Cutting Boards: For a low maintenance, inexpensive touch of wood, a cutting board fits the bill perfectly. It adds all the charm of wood and makes sure cook prep is only an arm’s length away.
10. Incorporate Fun(ctional) Accessories: We all want our kitchens to be pretty, sure. But of all the rooms in the house, function in the kitchen is key. Wood tools and ways to organize them add a hint of this great material while keeping things organized.