Good morning, chic readers! We hope you are having a terrific week. We can’t believe that summer is coming to an end here in North Carolina and, as usual, the start of the school year has us thinking about new projects we want to undertake in our homes.
Undeniably one of the most important parts of the living rooms in our homes is the sofa. So, so many things come into play when choosing the right sofa that it can be overwhelming. Here are a few of our tips for choosing the perfect one! And click this link to check out some of the great sofa options available.
- Think about the purpose of your new couch. Is it more decorative? Do you want to be able to stretch out on it and take a nap? Do you want to be able to curl up and watch a movie with your sweetheart? If so, styles that are at least 40 inches deep (when the cushions are out) and 72 inches long are a must!
2. What does the rest of the furniture in your room look like? We love sofas with legs, but in a room with all leggy furniture, it can be a little bit too much! Skirted sofas are perfect for rooms where there is already plenty of wood. Using a dark fabric is a great idea for a skirted sofa, as it makes dust, dirt and shoe marks much less visible.
3. Do you want your couch to blend in or stand out? Because of its size in comparison to the rest of the pieces in the room, the sofa makes a statement. We love neutral couches whose pillows can be changed frequently to tell a new story. But choosing a big, bold pattern or a fun color can totally transform a room.
4. Does your couch need to be kid-friendly? Everyone thought I was crazy when I bought a pair of white leather tufted sofas for the playroom, but it was the best purchase I ever made! Everything wipes right off, and there’s even a handy correction pen for covering up travesties like permanent market. (Thank goodness we haven’t had to use that one!) Sunbrella or other outdoor fabrics are also great choices for kid-friendly couches.
5. What is your ceiling height? For room with ceilings eight feet tall or less, lower-backed sofas are a must! They make the room seem much larger than an oversized piece would. Conversely, if you have extremely tall ceilings, make sure the back is tall enough to command a presence.
6. Are you a fluffer? For a low-maintenance look, tufted backs are wonderful and are easier to maintain than couches where both the back and seat pillows must be constantly fluffed.
7. What kind of arm is right for you? Just remember that arms take up lots of visual space and can look clunky. You can never go wrong with an English roll arm!
There is no doubt that the right sofa is critically important to a space. What do you look for when sofa shopping?
Thanks so much for making Design Chic a part of your day!
And we are thrilled to have been nominated by Amara as a Best Luxury Blog and would so appreciate you voting for us here!