Good morning, chic readers! We all know the living room is one of the most important spaces in any house, the place where we gather as a family, where we host friends, where we come back together after a long day out in the world to refresh and regroup before we do it all again. One of our favorite ways to make a statement in any space is with chic, unforgettable lighting. Whether modern or more traditional, dark ironwork or shiny gold, there’s the right statement lighting for any living room space. Check out a few of our favorite examples of beautiful lighting that can make your space sing.
Thanks so much for stopping by Design Chic today. We hope everyone affected by Hurricane Florence stays safe and sound!
If you’re looking for something to read, make sure to grab a copy of THE SECRET TO SOUTHERN CHARM , one of Southern Living‘s best beach reads, to slip in your tote.
September 21: Albert Carlton-Cashiers Community Library, 249 Frank Allen Rd., Cashiers, NC, Q&A and Signing. Presented by Friends of the Library. For more information call the Library at 828-743-0215, 3:00pm, free and open to the public
September 21: Chattooga Club Speakers Bureau Event, Cashiers, NC, 6 pm, open to Chattooga Club members and guests
September 26: New Bern, NC Private Book Club Event, 6 pm
October 4: Pink Ribbon Project Luncheon and Purse Auction, 11 am-1 pm, Wilmington Convention Center, Wilmington, NC
October 11-14: Poppy Con 2018, Tall Poppy Writers Retreat, Chicago, IL, private event
November 6: Private Book Club Event, Beaufort, NC, 6 pm
Good morning, chic readers! As the world spins faster and we get busier, it becomes increasingly important for our homes to be the soothing retreats we need to unwind. There’s no place where that is more important than in the first place you see in the morning and the last place you visit at night: the master bathroom. Take a peek at some of our favorite tips for creating a spa-like master bathroom retreat.
Maximize Light. If you have the luxury of a bathroom free from neighbors, natural light is one of the fastest ways to make a bathroom feel open, airy and spa-like.
2. Invest in Quality. There are some rooms in the home where you can get by with scrimping, but, in the bathroom, where everything from floors to faucets to drains get a ton of use, it makes sense to invest in the best quality you can afford. (Even still, you never know when a problem like a blocked drain can arise, so it’s a good idea to have your favorite plumber’s number on hand!)
3. Glam it Up. From beautiful brass or stainless accents to pretty light fixtures, a little glamour can go a long way!
4. Don’t Forget Storage. There’s nothing worse than creating a stunning bathroom only to have it filled with clutter. Plenty of storage ensures that hair irons and toiletries stay out of sight but readily available.
5. Make it Feel Like Home. Depending on what kind of feel you want your bathroom retreat to have, incorporating vanities that feel like furniture and comfort items like chairs from other rooms can really make your bathroom comfortable and in keeping with the tone of the rest of your home.
6. Make a List of Must-Haves. In any room, it’s important to focus on your priorities. For us, it’s always the bathtub and the light fixtures, but whatever your priorities are, make sure to put them in the budget first so you know where to splurge and where to save.
7. Don’t Forget the Architectural Details. As with any room, it’s the details that really make a room memorable. In a spot with so much moisture, art can be tricky, so focusing on fabulous molding and woodworking details adds interest.
8. Make it Comfortable. Maybe it sounds obvious, but any room that you want to feel like a sanctuary should be comfortable! We love this sweet and cozy vanity stool!
9. Play it up with Pattern. Let’s face it. Bathrooms can be boring. In a room where you want to stick with a simple palette, a little bit of pattern can go a long way toward defining a space.
10. Keep Your Favorite Essentials on Hand. Our favorite tip is the simplest: Make sure keep your favorite spa-like essentials on hand. Pretty sponges, favorite bath salts and that shampoo that makes your hair feel like you’ve just had a keratin treatment are inexpensive luxuries that add so much to your bathroom without a bit of demo!
What are your favorite ways to make your bathroom feel like a retreat?
Speaking of Southern Charm, if you haven’t checked out my Peachtree Bluff Series, beginning with Slightly South of Simple and continuing with my latest release, The Secret to Southern Charm, what are you waiting for? Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to get up to day on the Murphy girls and Peachtree Bluff, Georgia, a town where the breeze is warm, the sun is shining, and nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems!
From a well-placed accessory to a fabulous front door to Mother Nature’s finest gifts, going green has never looked so good. Take a peek at some of our favorite green to get your weekend started on the right foot!
So many styles. So little time. It’s no wonder that mixing trends and time periods is so popular now. Who would want to choose just one?
We are huge, huge fans of the Midcentury Modern touches that we have seen cropping up here, there and everywhere. And we just love how simple touches of the look can add personality to any room. This fixture, for example, adds instant pizazz to complement traditional furnishings.
Welcome to fabulous Friday, friends! Do you have fun weekend plans? We’re looking forward to just relaxing and staying close to home. That’s nice every now and then, right? In the meantime, here a few pretties to get you through until 5 o’clock!
Do you love succulents? We love succulents. I want a big planter full of them! Plus, they’re tough to kill, right? That’s always plus.