When we set out to make changes in our houses, we believe that most of us are searching for looks with staying power, for style that will stand the test of time–or at least some time. Carol Flanagan Design strikes that perfect balance between the right now and the lovely forever that brings her homes into the present while keeping an eye toward the past and allowing her designs to maintain their staying power well into the future. We hope you love this designer’s good taste as much as we do!
Hoping you end your hectic day in a place as lovely as this. Thanks so much for stopping by today. We always love it when you do!
Be ready to laugh, cry and lose some sleep because you won’t be able to put this one down! The Secret to Southern Charm is a beautifully written story full of love, heartbreak, suspense and of course, that sweet southern charm! Interior design enthusiasts will also love picturing the lovely decor of the homes which provide the calming background for the complicated lives of the characters.
And I got to meet my sweet friend Shelley at Root Home Decor in Manasquan, NJ on my The Secret to Southern Charm tour. She is as fabulous as her blog and I could have talked to her all night. It was so fun! You can check out her post about it! Thank you so much, Shelley!
Good morning, chic readers! As the world spins faster and we get busier, it becomes increasingly important for our homes to be the soothing retreats we need to unwind. There’s no place where that is more important than in the first place you see in the morning and the last place you visit at night: the master bathroom. Take a peek at some of our favorite tips for creating a spa-like master bathroom retreat.
Maximize Light. If you have the luxury of a bathroom free from neighbors, natural light is one of the fastest ways to make a bathroom feel open, airy and spa-like.
2. Invest in Quality. There are some rooms in the home where you can get by with scrimping, but, in the bathroom, where everything from floors to faucets to drains get a ton of use, it makes sense to invest in the best quality you can afford. (Even still, you never know when a problem like a blocked drain can arise, so it’s a good idea to have your favorite plumber’s number on hand!)
3. Glam it Up. From beautiful brass or stainless accents to pretty light fixtures, a little glamour can go a long way!
4. Don’t Forget Storage. There’s nothing worse than creating a stunning bathroom only to have it filled with clutter. Plenty of storage ensures that hair irons and toiletries stay out of sight but readily available.
5. Make it Feel Like Home. Depending on what kind of feel you want your bathroom retreat to have, incorporating vanities that feel like furniture and comfort items like chairs from other rooms can really make your bathroom comfortable and in keeping with the tone of the rest of your home.
6. Make a List of Must-Haves. In any room, it’s important to focus on your priorities. For us, it’s always the bathtub and the light fixtures, but whatever your priorities are, make sure to put them in the budget first so you know where to splurge and where to save.
7. Don’t Forget the Architectural Details. As with any room, it’s the details that really make a room memorable. In a spot with so much moisture, art can be tricky, so focusing on fabulous molding and woodworking details adds interest.
8. Make it Comfortable. Maybe it sounds obvious, but any room that you want to feel like a sanctuary should be comfortable! We love this sweet and cozy vanity stool!
9. Play it up with Pattern. Let’s face it. Bathrooms can be boring. In a room where you want to stick with a simple palette, a little bit of pattern can go a long way toward defining a space.
10. Keep Your Favorite Essentials on Hand. Our favorite tip is the simplest: Make sure keep your favorite spa-like essentials on hand. Pretty sponges, favorite bath salts and that shampoo that makes your hair feel like you’ve just had a keratin treatment are inexpensive luxuries that add so much to your bathroom without a bit of demo!
What are your favorite ways to make your bathroom feel like a retreat?
Speaking of Southern Charm, if you haven’t checked out my Peachtree Bluff Series, beginning with Slightly South of Simple and continuing with my latest release, The Secret to Southern Charm, what are you waiting for? Memorial Day weekend is the perfect time to get up to day on the Murphy girls and Peachtree Bluff, Georgia, a town where the breeze is warm, the sun is shining, and nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems!
Good morning, readers! We are packing for cold, snowy NYC today to wrap up a few final details before the The Secret to Southern Charm tour officially begins, but….
We didn’t see any reason for you to be cold too!
So, today, we’re sharing the good taste of Tracy Lynn Design, a San Diego-based firm whose interiors are as sunny inside as it is outside.
Cohesion in design is one of the firm’s main goals, after all.
And we think it’s safe to say that the interiors of these gorgeous California homes are as inviting as the state–and its people.
A sleek kitchen, upon closer inspection, is made up of a million tiny details, from the backsplash to the pendant lighting, that make it totally unique.
And every taste is catered to elegantly and effortlessly.
Blues, whites and coral are calming by the sea in a pretty bedroom made for relaxing.
And even those small spaces that tend to be forgotten become both useful and unique.
Where better to take advantage of the last bright light of the day than in a huge soaking tub made for relaxation.
White shiplap and uncovered bulbs juxtapose with a touch of brass for understated glamour that is so very San Diego.
It’s nice to keep a global view while brushing your teeth…
And a room that can grow as he does makes for a just-right nursery. We think these beautiful designs are as lovely as they city in which they reside. We hope you have loved the good taste of Tracy Lynn Designs as much as we have!
I AM SO, SO, SO EXCITED TO SHARE THAT SLIGHTLY SOUTH OF SIMPLE HAS BEEN CHOSEN AS A KINDLE AND BARNES AND NOBLE NOOK MONTHLY DEAL SO, FROM TODAY UNTIL APRIL 1, YOU CAN READ THE FIRST BOOK IN THE PEACHTREE BLUFF SERIES FOR ONLY $1.99–JUST IN TIME FOR THE THE SECRET TO SOUTHERN CHARM RELEASE ON APRIL 3.
Step inside this gorgeous New Canaan stone house, designed by Brooks & Falotico Associates, built by West Construction and interiors by Tori Legge of Stirling Mills Interior Design. It’s the pinnacle of style from the living room to the barre studio! We think we love each week’s house tour more than the week before, but this is definitely a favorite! But don’t take our word for it… Happy perusing!
Calming, luxurious, neutral and somehow modern and traditional at the same time, this stone cottage has it all. What’s your favorite part?
Thanks so much for stopping by Design Chic today. We always love seeing you here!